Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Off to a New Start!

Happy New Year!

I feel a bit behind. We had a wonderful holiday season and the kiddos head back to school tomorrow to start a new quarter in the new year!

Right now while we're counting down the days until school starts we've been trying to purge our little house. Everyone hears we have 4 bedrooms and 2 baths and they think our house is HUGE. What most don't realize is my son's bedroom is smaller than my kitchen and that's not saying much since my kitchen can only handle one person at a time in it. 

We house is about 1500 sq. ft. and sometimes we get so busy that it seems to get piled because we need to just stop and let go. The start of the new year is the perfect time to do that, but it's been challenging. I know I'm not the only parent with this problem, but I get tired of cleaning it all myself because my children seem to stand there with that "Where do I start?" look in their eyes. 

We've devised a system where we work in 10-15 minute intervals (with a 5 minute break in there to access and look around) and it goes a little something like this:
  1. Get a trash bag and throw away everything that is obviously trash. My kids have a nasty habit of saving EVERYTHING.
  2. With a large storage container seat aside things you would like to keep
  3. Find smaller storage containers and their lids (which have labels of what belongs in them) and start sorting what belongs in each
  4. If it doesn't have a storage container put it in a bucket to be sorted later
  5. Decide what we're really going to KEEP and what needs to be DONATED (to go live with someone else!)
  6. Fold laundry and put it away (if we're not donating the items)
  7. Sweep and mop the floors after everything has been put away
  8. RELAX and be proud you've accomplished something
Now, we constantly have to break down into smaller tasks most of these chores. They've been working on one room for 4 days now and still aren't finished. Day one was just picking up the floor. Day two was clearing out the bookshelf corner. Day three was cleaning out the floor and shelves of the closet and today is getting EVERYTHING out from under the bed. I'm trying to not go in there and check on them constantly because I'm not sure I want to KNOW what is under the bed.

Not enough storage room is another problem. That is where we're forced to utilize our attic. Just don't forget that you stored things up there. That is why I like storage containers. You can find almost any size to fit anywhere and we stash them under beds, under hanging clothes in the closet and it also makes rotating things through the attic a whole lot easier than a cardboard box. Pest control is easier too!!!

But back to the fun stuff…

I am making headway in pattern writing process. It seems that has not been a priority and I apologize. The next thing I will be releasing will be an e-book of fingerless glove patterns that range from easy to intermediate and may be purchased individually or in a complete e-book. Those will definitely be available on Craftsy and Ravelry. I may even put them up for sale in my esty store.

I will also be making available for sale several items that are often requested for me to custom make. Most will already be made (as knitting and crocheting are therapy for my hands and arms) but custom orders are welcome as well.

I'm back to sketching the illustrations for the book, but none of what I've produced is at "finished" quality and I'm not even sure if some of them fit in to the story line so they may be used for a different book at a later date.

Also keep a look out for several projects and ideas we will be releasing throughout the new year. I will keep you up-to-date when we get closer to releasing those.

Hope your year is off to a great start. If it's not, keep your chin up and look to God…especially if you have frizzy hair on a sunny day!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment